One of the main challenges of BPD is finding the treatment program that is right for you. Consider asking the following questions to help you make informed decisions when choosing a program.
- Where is this treatment facility located?
- Is the treatment facility affiliated with a hospital, a medical college, or other healthcare institution?
- How many years has this treatment facility been actively treating patients with BPD?
- Is this treatment facility accredited by The Joint Commission and licensed by the state? (The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits health care organizations in the United States: qualitycheck.org)
Admission Criteria/Evaluation Procedures
- What are the admission criteria at this treatment facility? Are there waiting lists?
- Does the treatment facility require a referral from a previous provider?
- How does this treatment facility evaluate patients and diagnose BPD and other personality disorders? Who will evaluate the condition of the patient?
Treatment and Levels of Care
- Does this treatment facility see patients on an inpatient or outpatient basis, or both?
- Is the inpatient environment an open or closed setting, or both?
- What treatment approaches in terms of therapies and medications are offered (e.g., DBT, TFP, individual and group supportive psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, etc.)?
- What is the average length of stay for inpatients and aftercare?
- What additional support resources are available (e.g., structured patient support groups, recreational therapy, occupational therapy, vocational rehabilitation, etc.)?
- What sorts of treatment services are available for co-occurring disorders (e.g., dieticians and nurses for eating disorders, addiction counselors for substance abuse, etc.)? Are support groups offered for these conditions?
- Is appropriate medical staff in place to help patients maintain or improve their physical health while undergoing BPD treatment?
- What kinds of emergency services are in place at this treatment facility?
- What types of mental health professionals (e.g., physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, certified social workers, etc.) is this treatment facility staffed with and what are their credentials, specialties, and training?
- What types of activities/programs are offered?
- What is the role of family members in the treatment approaches of at this facility?
- Are there support resources for family and, if so, what are they? Is family therapy offered?
- How can family communicate with treatment facility staff?
- Does this treatment facility offer aftercare services (i.e., partial hospitalization, a day hospital, halfway houses, or supervised community residences)?
Insurance/Cost of Treatment
- How is treatment paid for?
- What types of insurance plans are accepted by this treatment facility and what do they cover?