One of the main challenges of BPD is finding the treatment program that is right for you. The following FAQs below are provided to help make you informed decisions when selecting a BPD treatment program.
- Where is this treatment facility located?
- Is the treatment facility affiliated with a hospital, a medical college, or other healthcare institution?
- How many years has this treatment facility been actively treating patients with BPD?
- Is this treatment facility accredited by The Joint Commission and licensed by the state? (The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits health care organizations in the United States: qualitycheck.org)
Admission Criteria/Evaluation Procedures
- What are the admission criteria at this treatment facility? Are there waiting lists?
- Does the treatment facility require a referral from a previous provider?
- How does this treatment facility evaluate patients and diagnose BPD and other personality disorders? Who will evaluate the condition of the patient?
Treatment and Levels of Care
- Does this treatment facility see patients on an inpatient or outpatient basis, or both?
- Is the inpatient environment an open or closed setting, or both?
- What treatment approaches in terms of therapies and medications are offered (e.g., DBT, TFP, individual and group supportive psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, etc.)?
- What is the average length of stay for inpatients and aftercare?
- What additional support resources are available (e.g., structured patient support groups, recreational therapy, occupational therapy, vocational rehabilitation, etc.)?
- What sorts of treatment services are available for co-occurring disorders (e.g., dieticians and nurses for eating disorders, addiction counselors for substance abuse, etc.)? Are support groups offered for these conditions?
- Is appropriate medical staff in place to help patients maintain or improve their physical health while undergoing BPD treatment?
- What kinds of emergency services are in place at this treatment facility?
- What types of mental health professionals (e.g., physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, certified social workers, etc.) is this treatment facility staffed with and what are their credentials, specialties, and training?
- What types of activities/programs are offered?
- What is the role of family members in the treatment approaches of at this facility?
- Are there support resources for family and, if so, what are they? Is family therapy offered?
- How can family communicate with treatment facility staff?
- Does this treatment facility offer aftercare services (i.e., partial hospitalization, a day hospital, halfway houses, or supervised community residences)?
Insurance/Cost of Treatment
- How is treatment paid for?
- What types of insurance plans are accepted by this treatment facility and what do they cover?